Experience, Leadership and Unity
The foundation of the Empyrean advantage stems from the cohesive vision and guidance of its senior management team. Working together for more than 20 years within the employee benefits and HR technology space, our core leadership team delivers continued innovation and improvement. The team’s commitment to providing employers and employees with a broad range of integrated services and greater flexibility has enabled Empyrean to add client after client to its list of valued partnerships.
Richard Wolfe | Chief Executive Officer
Mr. Wolfe has over 20 years of senior-level management experience with expertise in business process outsourcing, benefits administration and systems implementation. Recent professional accomplishments include:
- Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer for Empyrean Benefit Solutions.
- Senior Operations Director and Principal with Mercer HR Services where Mr. Wolfe was responsible for solution architecture and delivery of services to large outsourcing clients.
- Senior Director at Synhrgy HR Technologies where Mr. Wolfe was a key contributor to its development by providing significant business operation and product development leadership.
- Senior Implementation Manager at Hewitt Associates where Mr. Wolfe was responsible for implementing services for large outsourcing clients.
Mr. Wolfe holds a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance and Economics from The University of Pittsburgh.
Michael Taggart | President
Mr. Taggart has over 30 years of senior-level experience working with large corporations, creating and implementing healthcare strategy, outsourced benefits administration and financial management of benefit programs. Recent professional accomplishments include:
- U.S. Practice Leader for Healthcare Analytics at Aon Consulting where Mr. Taggart led the application of predictive modeling techniques to assist employers with the management of healthcare programs. Mr. Taggart was also responsible for the development of Aon Consulting’s strategies around health insurance exchanges and other healthcare reform initiatives.
- President and co-founder of Synhrgy HR Technologies where Mr. Taggart was responsible for sales, working with channel partners and assisting with the development of new outsourcing services such as Synhrgy’s Total Absence Management program.
- Principal and Regional Healthcare Practice Leader at Mercer Consulting where Mr. Taggart was responsible for working with large clients in the development of benefits and health care strategy and managing the delivery of services to all clients.
Mr. Taggart holds a Bachelor’s degree in Finance from the University of Texas and is a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries.
Colleen Waymel | Chief Operating Officer
Ms. Waymel has over 20 years of experience working with clients across industries to achieve their benefits design and outsourcing objectives while demonstrating creative leadership that produces client delivery excellence, creates an engaged workforce, and drives outstanding business results. Recent professional accomplishments include:
- Vice President, General Manager and Principal at Aon Hewitt where Ms. Waymel was responsible for the successful delivery of outsourcing programs to a large multi-service portfolio of clients and providing leadership to a team of 800 people globally in provision of that service with the goal of producing enthusiastic client referrals, client retention and client service growth.
- North American Health and Welfare Operations Leader and Principal at Aon Hewitt where Ms. Waymel was responsible for ensuring the delivery of high quality, compliant services to the health and welfare aligned clients by developing, deploying and institutionalizing operating standards, best practices, measures and delivery model solutions while also sponsoring the growth of domain knowledge in the aligned resources.
- Senior Client Delivery Leader and Principal at Aon Hewitt where Ms. Waymel was responsible for providing both implementation and ongoing project leadership to large outsourcing clients.
Ms. Waymel is a certified Project Management Professional and graduated cum laude with a Bachelor’s degree in International Economics from Trinity University.
Steve Campbell | Chief Human Resources Officer
Mr. Campbell has over 30 years of experience effectively leading the development and execution of human resource strategies, programs and systems within professional services organizations. Recent professional accomplishments include:
- Principal and Global Talent Leader at Hewitt Associates where Mr. Campbell developed and oversaw the execution of talent acquisition and development strategies for the Consulting segment.
- Principal and Global Line of Business HR Leader where he led the development and global delivery of talent solutions for Hewitt’s Retirement and Health Management consulting businesses.
- Director of Human Resources for The Information Consulting Group, a start-up IT consulting firm that was acquired by McKinsey & Company, where Mr. Campbell formed and led the human resources function.
Mr. Campbell holds a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration and Systems Analysis from Taylor University.
Chuck Benedict | Chief Technology Officer, Co-Founder
Mr. Benedict has over 20 years of senior-level technology experience and an extensive track record of success within a broad variety of technology disciplines including voice and data networking, systems integration, systems management and operations, application development, software engineering, and systems and business analysis. Recent professional accomplishments include:
- Chief Technology Officer for Mercer HR Services where Mr. Benedict was responsible for specifying, building, maintaining and operating the technology used to deliver outsourcing services to Mercer’s large outsourcing clients. In this capacity, Mr. Benedict managed a team of 80 full-time employees and contractors that consisted of product and project managers, analysts, architects, developers and quality assurance staff. Technology that emerged from Mercer’s product development group was consistently deployed to production with low defect rates and low maintenance costs. Mr. Benedict was also a senior-level member of Mercer’s Operations Leadership Group and Product Strategy Team.
- Chief Technology Officer and co-founder of Synhrgy HR Technologies where Mr. Benedict oversaw the construction of Synhrgy’s HR product technology and managed the construction of Synhrgy’s data centers and the technology selection and integration of Synhrgy’s call center technology. While at Synhrgy, Mr. Benedict was an early adopter in implementing web-based technologies for the company’s outsourcing business.
- Independent consultant focusing on systems integration projects for large call centers.
Mr. Benedict graduated from Texas A&M University with a Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems.
John Hill | Chief Financial Officer and Corporate Secretary
Mr. Hill, Chief Financial Officer and Corporate Secretary has more than 35 years in financial accounting including more than 25 years of global manufacturing experience in finance and management. He has successfully managed in a variety of industries and in various sized organizations. Recent professional accomplishments include:
- Chief Financial Officer and Corporate Secretary at Conclusive Marketing, Inc. where Mr. Hill helped guide the company from initial start-up funding through a period of high growth. Responsible for all areas of financial management as well as administrating the employee stock option programs and documenting all activities of the board of directors.
- Vice President, Finance of the Lighting Products Group for MagneTek, a global diversified manufacturer. Mr. Hill led the financial function of this key business unit with facilities worldwide which accounted for $350 million of the $1.2 billion total company revenue. He directed a staff of 20, plus six plant accounting staffs.
- Regional Controller at SCI Systems where Mr. Hill oversaw the financial analysis, forecasting, planning, budgeting, cost accounting and internal control systems for two key corporate regions with nine operating units which made up nearly 80% of the company’s $6 billion in revenues.
Mr. Hill holds a Master’s degree from Murray State University and a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and Mathematics from Mid America Nazarene University.
Doug Hogenmiller | Senior Vice President, Business Development
Mr. Hogenmiller has focused on achieving client goals through strategic outsourcing initiatives for over 20 years. His work in the human resource industry includes benefits administration outsourcing and deployment of defined contribution health benefits programs for some of the largest employers in the U.S. Recent professional accomplishments include:
- Vice President of Sales for Extend Health where Mr. Hogenmiller led both product development and business development efforts for Extend Health’s defined contribution retiree medical programs.
- Managing Consultant for Hewitt Associates outsourcing solutions where Mr. Hogenmiller was responsible for helping larger U.S.employers achieve administrative, economic and strategic advantage through various outsourcing initiatives.
- Senior Account Executive for industry leading entities, such as FTI Consulting and Moore Corporation, driving business development efforts across theU.S.
Mr. Hogenmiller holds a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from Texas State University.
Keith Wilson | Senior Vice President, Client Services
Keith Wilson has spent the last 15 years focused on operations management across a number of benefit administration platforms: Synhrgy HR Technologies, Mercer HR Services and Empyrean. Mr. Wilson’s experience includes implementation and ongoing administration, operations and call center, as well as shared services support across ancillary functions. In Mr. Wilson’s current role, he oversees development of the Empyrean “NetPoint” business channel relationships and provides leadership across client onboarding and implementations. Recent professional accomplishments include:
- SVP Client Services at Empyrean Benefits where Mr. Wilson provided day-to-day guidance and direction as part of the management team responsible for growing Empyrean’s client base from inception to current base. He was also responsible for overseeing administration functions and management of human capital across the client delivery team.
- Principal and Operations Director at Mercer HR Services. Mr. Wilson managed key service deliverables across the benefits administration practice and provided leadership across the operations team.
- Senior Implementation Manager at Synhrgy HR Technologies where Mr. Wilson was responsible for implementing services for Health and Group administration.
Mr. Wilson holds a Bachelor’s degree from Pennsylvania State University